One of my favourite ways to eat a salad without feeling like I’m just eating ‘another salad’ is to make fresh rolls. You may recognize these vibrant and refreshing spring rolls from your favourite Vietnamese restaurant, and, (lucky for us!) they are easy to recreate in your own home. What I love about fresh rolls is that you can get really creative and customize them as you like! Sometimes they even come in handy when you’re trying to clear out the fridge or create something new with your leftovers.
I love to fill my rolls with fresh and colourful fruits and veggies. In this recipe I’ve created for Avocados from Mexico, I’ve kept the recipe vegetarian and vegan friendly, however, these are also super delicious when chicken or shrimp is added instead of tofu. Personally, I love the crunch that comes from fresh carrots and lettuce, combined with the creamy goodness of Avocados from Mexico and the sweetness of fresh mangos. When wrapped up and dipped into the creamy and healthy peanut sauce I guarantee your taste buds will be saying ‘WOW!!’
Here’s how to make my favourite Vegan Fresh Rolls Recipe with Avocados and a Healthy Peanut Sauce:
What You Need
Vegan Fresh Rolls:
(quantity varies depending on how many you want to make)
- Avocados from Mexico, peeled, pitted and sliced
- Cucumber, julienned
- Carrot, julienned
- Red pepper, julienned
- Fresh mango, peeled and julienned
- Iceberg lettuce, shredded
- Fresh basil leaves
- Fresh Coriander
- Organic Firm Tofu, cubed
- Lime juice
- Round Rice Paper Wraps
Healthy Peanut Sauce:
- 1 tbsp Tahini
- 2 tbsp Organic peanut butter (crunchy or smooth!)
- 2 tbsp Quality maple syrup
- 2 tbsp Filtered water
- 1 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Raw apple cider vinegar
- Lemon juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp Tamari
- pinch of Salt
- 1 tsp Sriracha
What To Do:
- First, prep all of your veggies and fruits and place them on a large plate or separate small plates or bowls. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the avocado slices and some of the fresh veggies.
- Next, fill a large mixing bowl with water and place your rice paper wraps next to the bowl. Make sure you have a work station set up with either a large plate or clean cutting board set up for rolling. Place it near your water bowl and surround it with the prepped fruits and veggies.
- Take one sheet of rice paper and submerge it in the water bowl until it becomes soft and loses its stiffness.
- Place the soft rice paper sheet on your plate and cutting board, then begin to fill the centre with your fruits and veggies. I like to place the lettuce first followed by basil leaves, coriander, cucumber, carrot, mango, red pepper, avocado slices and tofu.
- Take one side of the rice paper and wrap it over the ingredients, fold in the sides and then continue to roll until sealed.
- Place your roll onto a platter or plate. You can either leave it whole or cut it in half.
- Continue the process until you’ve made enough, or used up all of your rice paper wrappers or ingredients.
- For the Healthy Peanut Sauce, place all sauce ingredients into a small jar or container, then shake until well combined.
- Pour the sauce into a small bowl and serve with the rolls as a dipping sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
For more recipes made with Avocados from Mexico please click HERE!