As a blogger and the owner of an online shop, taking pictures is a big part of my job. Selfies, flat lays, outfit shots, products shots – you name it, I do it! The truth is, there’s a lot of equipment you need behind the scenes to get the perfect shot, and most often they don’t come cheap.
Let’s be real here: I’m not exactly known to be a DIY blogger, but when I recently saw a video on how to make a DIY light box in a quick and easy way, I was instantly intrigued and wanted to try it out for myself. Trust me, I very rarely feel compelled to make something myself (unless it involves cooking), but I loved the idea of using inexpensive materials to create a really helpful tool, especially for fellow bloggers or e-shop owners.
When my friends at GE Lighting reached out about trying GE reveal® Bulbs to experience their pure, clean light firsthand, I took it as the perfect opportunity to test them out with the DIY light box idea. If you’re interested in making your own DIY light box at home in a cheap, easy and FAST way, see below for how to do it!
How To Make A DIY Light Box
What You Need:
- 1 large cardboard box – the bigger the better!
- X-ACTO knife
- Ruler or measuring tape
- White tissue paper
- Masking tape
- White poster board
- Binder clips (or double sided tape)
- 2 GE reveal® light bulbs
- 2 desk lamps
- Using your X-ACTO knife, remove all 4 flaps from the box’s opening.
- Using your ruler or measuring tape and pencil, draw a one inch border along the top of your box and repeat on neighbouring sides.
- Use your X-ACTO knife to cut along the lines, and remove the cardboard pieces to create windows on the two sides and top of your box.
- One side at a time, lay one sheet of white tissue paper over the window and cut to fit the frame. You can also use the square piece of cardboard you removed as a guide if you prefer to the tissue the table.
- Secure the tissue paper over the window opening with tape along all for sides.
- Repeat on all 3 sides.
- Cut your white poster board to fit the width of your box, ideally extending from top to bottom with a slight curve over the bottom back edge of the box.
- Secure your poster board at the top with tape, and bottom with binder clips, or more tape.
- Ensure your desk lamps are turned off, or unplugged.
- Screw the GE reveal® Bulbs into your desk lamps.
- Plug in both lamps.
- Set up your light box on a table or flat surface.
- Place both desk lamps on each side of the light box.
- Turn on the lights and start shooting!
As you can see from the photo above, the DIY light box creates the perfect clean white backdrop to shoot product shots in your own home! Lighting is a big part of getting the right look for your photos, and I’m super impressed with brightness and clarity you get when using GE reveal® Bulbs. Apparently, they make colours bolder and whites whiter which is absolutely perfect for product shots that stand out and look professional.
If you are interested in creating your own light box at home, I highly recommend trying this out for yourself. The best part is, it shouldn’t take you more than 20 minutes to create from start to finish – woohoo!
To enhance the lighting for your light box (or your home), be sure to take advantage of the limited-time promotional pricing of 30% off GE reveal® A19 Energy Efficient Soft White 4-packs right now through December 21st across participating Canadian Walmart locations.
For more information on the promotion and how you can experience more with clean light, please click HERE.