’Tis the season when all of our calendars fill up with holiday parties and events for a solid two months. With so many engagements on the go, time is tight, and so are our spending budgets. I’m a huge fan of making gifts during the holiday season, and I always try to block out time in my schedule (even when it’s difficult to do) so that I can bake my favourite cookies (biscotti are something that friends and family have come to rely on me for at this time of year) and homemade granola that I package and give to friends and family, especially when they’re hosting a gathering.
Each year I tend to make my classics, and shake things up with something new that I can add into the mix. When Seal-It Glitter Tape asked me to create something using their fun, sparkly tape (that does not flake off, thank God) I instantly thought of creating festive little holders for anything from small succulents to even mini Christmas trees! Not only is creating this holiday DIY succulent hostess gift quick and easy, but it’s inexpensive too. With the tape, holder and plant included, each one should add up to less than $10, and take you less than 10 minutes to make.
Even if you don’t plan to make these for hostess gifts, they are also a super cute and inexpensive way to add festive vibes to your home, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. Sadly, #CasaGC definitely cannot accommodate a full-size tree, so I’ll be using these to decorate too.
Here’s what you need to make an easy DIY succulent hostess gift with Seal-It Glitter Tape:
What You Need:
- Mini real Christmas trees or succulents (I like the white spotted ones since it looks like snow!)
- Plain plant holders that are either clear or a solid colour, preferably white, black or metallic.
- Seal-It Glitter Tape in festive colours such as Starry Silver, Go for Gold, Ruby Red, Gorgeous Green and the patterned Candy Cane and Lightning Strikes Twice.
If you’re wondering where to get mini real Christmas trees or succulents, I picked some up from my local florist where they were each $5.99 or less. I was able to purchase the plain square mini tree holders in white and silver from the florist, and found simple glass holders (look for candle holders to make it easier) at the dollar store for the succulents.
Seal-It Glitter Tape ranges from $2.99 to $5.50 per roll and can be purchased in-store at Shoppers Drug Mart and Sears Canada. You can also buy it online at SealItGlitterStore.ca where you can get 25% off and free shipping until December 31st, 2016!
What To Do:
- First, you need to decide on your designs for each holder. I love that Seal-It Glitter Tape’s adhesive can stick to a variety of surfaces and materials, but it’s also easy to apply and remove from each holder (without leaving any residue) so you can play around with ideas.
- For the small succulents, I liked striping the glasses with a mix of 2 to 3 different tapes. As you can see here, I combined the Ruby Red and Candy Cane tapes for one, and a mix of the Go for Gold, Starry Silver and Lightning Strikes Twice tapes for the other.
- For the larger box surface, I liked the idea of creating a pattern that resembled more of a wrapped gift (minus the wrapping, yay!) and created this pattern by applying one strip of Ruby Red vertically, with one strip of the Candy Cane next to it, followed by another piece of Ruby Red tape to go across horizontally. Then, I repeated the pattern on all four sides of the holder.
- Once you’ve created all of the patterns on your holders, all you have to do is simply pop each plant into them, while still in their original planters. That’s right, there’s no actual planting involved here!
Pretty simple, right? My advice is to gather everything you need then sit back and DIY while you binge watch your favourite show on Netflix on a lazy (yet productive) Sunday. Trust me, you’ll have everyone checked off of your list in no time.
Happy Holidays, everyone!