Two of my favourite things in life include natural beauty products and blood oranges. When you look at the ingredients list of the beauty products you use, the lists shouldn’t be long or hard to understand. In fact, many of the best ingredients used in natural products are things you can find in your own kitchen. If you have the time, and interest, this means that you can easily make simple DIY beauty products at home.
Last week I had the pleasure of attending a great event at Planta in Toronto, where we learned about all of the different ways to use and enjoy Sunkist citrus produce. One thing that caught my attention in particular is the DIY body scrub made with Sunkist Moro blood oranges and ginger, made by the lovely and talented Abbey Sharp.
Since Sunkist and Abbey were kind enough to share the recipe — and Moro blood oranges are in season right now (aka December through March)! — I was excited to post this recipe and give us all an easy way to brighten things up at home. See below for how to make it!
Blood Orange Ginger Scrub
Featured citrus: Sunkist® Moro blood oranges
Recipe courtesy of Sunkist® and Abbey Sharp
What You Need:
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons of honey
- 2 tablespoons of almond oil
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger, finely grated
- 2 teaspoons Sunkist® Moro blood orange zest
- 2 tablespoons of freshly-squeezed Sunkist® Moro blood orange juice
- 2 teaspoons Sunkist® Cara Cara Navel zest
- 2 tablespoons of freshly-squeezed Sunkist® Cara Cara Navel juice
What To Do:
- In a bowl, mix together the sugar, honey, oil, ginger, citrus zests and juices. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Put a small dollop of the scrub onto your arms, hands, feet and legs, and gently massage in circles. Rinse off thoroughly before patting yourself dry.